Skip to main content


Electronic Application - ApplyTexas Website

For purposes of admissions, an international student is defined as "a student who is, or will be, in the United States on a non-immigrant student visa." This specifically refers to the Student (F) and Exchange Visitor (J) Visas. International students admission requirements apply but are not limited to international students on F or J visas.

 International Undergraduate Students:

  • International Application - International Applicants should apply for admission using the ApplyTexas Application (electronic) at at least six months before the anticipated enrollment date and should arrange to have test scores and academic records in the Office of Admission no later than 60 days before the enrollment date. Verification of credentials may also be required. U. T. Permian Basin will issue immigration papers (I-20 or DS2019) for student visas after all admission credentials have been received and approved for admission. For more information contact the International Student Adviser at (432) 552-2605. There is no application fee (subject to change). All international students are considered nonresident students for tuition and other purposes.
  • High School or Secondary School Transcripts - Submit an official record (transcript) of all secondary school work attempted, including subjects taken and grades earned. In addition, an official copy of final examinations taken at the end of the secondary school program, such as school leaving certificates and matriculation exam results should be submitted. If documents are written in a language other than English, complete and official English translations must be provided. Each transcript (mark sheet) should contain a complete record of studies at the institution from which it is issued (i.e. the subjects taken and grades (marks) earned in each subject.) Send these to UTPB Admissions, 4901 E. University, Odessa, TX 79762-0001.
  • College/University Transcripts - Official, certified transcripts of student’s academic record (mark sheets) from universities previously attended must be submitted. Both a copy of the official foreign academic record and an official English translation must be included. Moreover, where university level studies are to be considered for possible undergraduate transfer credit, a syllabus, catalog or similar bulletin must be submitted which describes the courses in sufficient detail for proper evaluation.  If you have less than 24 hours of transferable course work from an accredited college or university, you must provide official transcripts of your secondary school work and meet the freshman admission requirements.
  • Certification of Financial Support – Student must submit a completed and signed Certification of Finances form that provides evidence guaranteeing the student’s ability to pay expenses while enrolled at U. T. Permian Basin. This form must be accompanied by documentation supporting the statement in the form of a current letter from a bank or other reliable institution or from the sponsor’s employer. (Photo static copies of support statements furnished to meet another university’s requirements are not acceptable.) The University has no financial aid available for international students.  Additional support can be from family members, a sponsor or government with supporting documentation and signatures attached to the Certification of Finances Form. For International Undergraduates (Freshmen or Transfers) , the estimated annual expenses for the next academic year (2015-2016) is $31,373 (includes tuition, fees; Room & Board; Books/Supplies; and Living Expenses) and for International Graduate students, the estimated expenses for the academic year (2015-2016) is $24,952.  Print out or view the 2015-2016 Certification of Finances Form (PDf version)
  • English Proficiency - All applicants whose native language is not English, must submit proof of English proficiency
    • TOEFL scores or other evidence of communication skills sufficient for classroom work may be requested if the student's first language is not English or if academic preparation was not in English.  Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) scores must be submitted before admissions will be granted. Minimum score for admission consideration is 550 (paper-based), 213 (computer-based), or 79 (internet-based).  Information concerning the TOEFL may be obtained by writing to:  TOEFL,  Box 899, Princeton, NJ 08540.  (The  University of Texas of the Permian Basin institution number:  6914).
    • Or  The Academic Examination of International English Language Testing System (IELTS) with a minimum score of a 6.5 or better.  There is no institutional code for UTPB so have your official scores sent to UTPB Admissions, 4901 E University Blvd, Odessa, TX  79762-0001.
    • Or successfully complete 24 semester credit hours of transrerable college course work from a regionally accredited U.S. institution to include English 1301 & English 1302 (Freshman Composition I & II) with grades of "C" or higher. 
  • Employment Restrictions - 
    Students on F-1 visas do not normally have employment privileges. Government regulations require international students to certify that they have finances deemed sufficient by the University while pursuing their degree without employment. Thus, international students should not expect to support themselves through employment while attending the University. International students may request permission to seek employment while attending the University after they have completed one academic year of study. See the International Student Advisor
  • Medical Insurance and Vaccinations Required -  All international students are required to provide evidence of medical and repatriation insurance whether living on- or off-campus. The University of Texas System does have a standard medical/repatriation insurance program available, if you do not have your own plan. You can view the fees and services at Student Health Plans. The fees can be found on the "Enrollment Form - International Student Dependents" located under the heading "Enrollment" on that website.   If you chose this plan, the fees will need to be paid when you register for classes. Please bring a copy of the insurance card/plan (once received) to the Admission Office so a copy can be made for your file. Vaccination required – All new and returning students, under the age of twenty-two (22), are required to show evidence of having received a Bacterial Meningitis Vaccination or qualified exemption prior to enrolling. The vaccination dose or booster must be during the five-year period preceding and at least 10 days prior to the first day of class or moving into on-campus housing (whichever is applicable).   Send evidence of vaccination or qualified exemption to the UTPB Admission Office, 4901 E. University Blvd., Odessa, TX 79762.  Students cannot move into the residence halls or attend classes within ten days of receiving the meningitis vaccination.
  • Full-time Requirement - Holders of F-1 student visas and J-1 sponsored Student Visas must enroll for a full load of study. Undergraduate students – Twelve (12) semester hours is the minimum load. If the student does not plan to enroll during the summer sessions, full-time enrollment should be 15 semester hours. Graduate students – Nine (9) semester hours is the minimum load.
  • Graduate Studies - Students requesting admission to graduate programs must comply with all of the above requirements in addition to the graduate studies requirements listed in the Graduate Catalog or go to the Graduate Studies website at

  • International Transfers from U.S. Institutions - Transfer admissions from universities within the United States will be processed only for those students who have completed one full year (24 semester hours) or more of studies. If currently “in-status” under a F or J Visa, the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) must be notified when an international student transfers from one U. S. institution to another. Once a student is admitted, UTPB will provide a Transfer-In Form that will need to be completed by the previous U.S. institution and submitted to UTPB to release the active Visa information for update. However, if a student is out of status” with USCIS, that student should reinstate him/herself with USCIS prior to enrolling at U. T. Permian Basin. Questions regarding a student’s immediate immigration status must be directed to the international student adviser. It is the student’s responsibility to obtain the correct visa and to maintain the appropriate immigration status while in the United States. International students should refer to, carefully read, and make sure the conditions of the visa, noted on the back of Form I-20 or DS2019, are understood before signing the form.

Contact Information

Scott Smiley - Director of Admissions
Phone - 432.552.2605
Toll-Free - 866.552.UTPB
Email :