Health/Medical Insurance Requirement -
All international students on a non-immigrant (F-1) and (J-1) visa status attending UT Permian Basin are required by the UT System Board of Regents to have continuous medical insurance policy compliant with the federal Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act (PPACA).
The UT Student Health Insurance Plan (UT SHIP) meets the new requirements. Enrollment in UT SHIP is automatic each semester and the insurance premium is automatically charged to your tuition and fee account when you register for classes. No action is required to be enrolled in UT SHIP except to ensure that your contact email and mailing address are always current in MyUTPB. The cost of the insurance for the Fall 2016 semester is $833.00 for the coverage period of August 15, 2016 until December 31, 2016.
The UT System has established new criteria by which an international student can request a waiver to the student health insurance plan by providing alternate health insurance coverage. In order to be approved for a waiver, your alternate health coverage must meet or exceed the requirements as set in the System regulation and be PPACA compliant.
Please note that you must request a waiver each semester, regardless of showing proof of coverage for the full academic year. (15 August 2016 through 14 August 2017).
You may submit your electronic waiver beginning July 5, 2016 12:01am and ending September 2, 2016 11:59pm.
You must meet one of the following criteria to submit a waiver request:
- Sponsored Plan (U.S. Government, Foreign Government, Embassy)
- Must be PPACA compliant with PPACA Essential Minimum Benefits or
- The sponsor has guaranteed payment of all health care expenses in writing
- Student enrolled in the UT System Employee Group Health Plan
- Employer-provided or individual plan that is PPACA compliant with PPACA Essential Minimum Benefits
- Enrolled exclusively in distance learning programs
- Travel plans will not be accepted
Your alternate health insurance coverage must meet the following minimum requirements in additional to the PPACA.
- Unlimited maximum on benefits
- No pre-existing condition limitation
- $500 or less deductible
- Coverage period includes semester dates
- Proof of Repatriation expenses in the amount of no less than $25,000.00
- Proof of Evacuation coverage in the amount of no less than $50,000.00
- The mandatory coverage period during the following dates: August 15, 2016 to August 14, 2017
Fall – 8/15/2016 through 12/31/2016
Spring – 1/1/2017 through 5/31/2017
Summer – 6/1/2017 through 8/14/2017
On-Line Waiver Process
If you have an alternate health insurance plan and you meet the waiver eligibility criteria, please follow these instructions to apply for the waiver of the AHP University SHIP. The waiver deadline is September 2, 2016.
- Have an electronic copy your insurance card, Policy Benefits Summary, and proof of Medical Evacuation and Repatriation Coverage (if you have this coverage) available.
- Go to http://utpb.myahpcare.com/waiver
- Verify you meet the waiver criteria, and if you do, select the “INTERNATIONAL STUDENTS”: click here to submit your waiver request” link at the bottom of the page to continue
- On the Login page, enter your MyUTPB ID number
- Enter your birth date as the Password (format MMDDYYYY, example 01011990).
- Then on the next page, Select the red waiver button from the “NO, I do not want the insurance.” Section.
- Complete the waiver form and attach copies of your scanned insurance documents.
- Select the ‘Submit Waiver’ button.