Skip to main content

 Frequently Asked Questions

Q:        When should I make reservations for Student Housing?

A:        Immediately! Rooms are assigned on a first come, first served basis. Students who delay in requesting housing cannot be assured of a room assignment. A $200 security deposit  must accompany the application.

Q:        Can I request a roommate?

A:        Yes. If you have a preferred roommate, it is important that both request the same type of housing and name your preferred roommate on the application (both parties must request each other to be placed together). If you've already submitted your application and would still like to request a roommate, you may email that request to Males and females will live in separate housing.

Q:        Can I find out who my roommates are prior to check-in?

A:        Yes. The name and telephone number of your roommate(s) are mailed out in late July/early August for the fall semester, December for the spring semester, and the second week of May for the summer semester. 

Q:        Can I bring a computer, television and stereo?

A:        Yes. Computers will fit nicely on the student desk provided. Every resident has a 10 Base-T Ethernet connection to the campus computer network and to the Internet. Cable TV from Cable One is available in every apartment/unit. Please make sure to bring an Ethernet cord as well as a cord for the cable television if you plan on using either of these. If you like your music or television loud, be sure to bring headphones since volume is a concern for everyone.

Q:        Can I decorate my apartment/unit?

A:        Yes. You are encouraged to decorate your assigned housing in a way that makes you comfortable as long as it does not create any permanent damage to the apartment/unit and you follow these guidelines.

  • Tape and/or adhesive wall attachments may not be used to hang items on the wall; it will damage the painted surfaces. Small nails or tacks may be used.
  • Contact paper or wallpaper or together paper to create a full wall is not permitted (fire safety).
  • Air vents must remain in place and free of obstructions (ventilation and fire safety).
  • Smoke detectors must remain in place and free from obstructions.
  • Adhesive stickers and emblems may not be attached to any surface including doors, windows, mirrors, and walls.
  • All Materials must be flame resistant. No empty alcoholic beverage containers allowed as decorations or any promotion of alcohol (posters, banners, clocks, etc.) and no drug paraphernalia.
  • No candles or candle warmers are allowed in Student Housing

Q:        Can I bring my pet?

A:        The only pets allowed in Student Housing are fish in a small, ten gallon or less fish tank. Other than that, no other pets are permitted with the exception of an animal trained to assist with disabilities. This exception requires a written doctor’s authorization.

Q:        What am I not permitted to bring?

A:        The University prohibits the possession of any type of firearm, dangerous weapon, explosive device, alcoholic beverage or narcotics. Even if you are legally of age to purchase/consume alcohol, UTPB is a dry campus and we do not allow alcohol on campus.

Q:        Where will I receive my mail?

A:        Mailboxes are located in the Falcon House. Packages may be picked up during the following hours:

Monday-Friday: 10AM-7PM
Saturday: 12PM-4PM

* Hours are subject to change based on the University's holiday schedule

Q:        Is there food service on campus?

A:        Yes. Located on the ground floor of the Student Activity Center, our cafeteria hours are as follows:                   


  • Breakfast: 6:30 AM  - 9:30 AM
  • Lunch: 10:30 AM - 2:30 PM
  • Dinner: 5:00 PM - 8:00 PM


  • Brunch: 11:00 AM - 1:00 PM
  • Dinner: 5:00 PM - 8:00 PM

 Q:       Are there laundry facilities?


A:        Yes. Located in most apartment buildings, as well as in the Falcon House, are card-read laundry facilities.

 Q:      Can I smoke in my apartment?


A:        No. Smoking in the apartments/units and in any Student Housing building is prohibited. If you smoke, you must do so at least 20 feet away from the buildings.

 Q:       Can I have alcohol on campus?


A:        No, UTPB is a dry campus. The possession, consumption, sale, or donation of alcoholic beverages, illegal drugs, narcotics, or controlled substances is prohibited on University property. Empty alcoholic beverage container s may not be used as decoration at Student Housing. Disciplinary action taken for violations of this policy can range from warnings to community service, to probation, to suspension from Student Housing and/or the University. Violations of this guideline will be reported to the Vice President for Student Services for possible disciplinary action. (This applies to you even if you are of age).

Q:       Is security provided?


A:        Yes, the University Police department is available 24 hours, 7 days a week for the safety and well-being of students, faculty, staff, and visitors.

Q:       Is there a curfew?


A:        There is no curfew for students living in Student Housing but there are visitation hours for their guest. The visitation hours are:

           Sunday-Thursday 10 a.m. - 11:00 p.m.

            Friday-Saturday 10 a.m. - 2:00a.m.

            All guests, even if they also live on campus in a different unit, must abide by these visitation hours. Always remember to check with your roommate(s)  first regarding guests.

Q:       Can I have my significant other or friends spend the night?


A:        No, your significant other may not spend the night; this also applies even if your significant other also lives on campus in a different unit. They too must follow the visitation hours.

Note:You may host a guest of your own gender overnight but you must register the guest with a Student Housing staff member. Your guest can stay for nor more than two consecutive nights and no more than twice a month.

 Q:       Can I use the Parker Ranch House facilities at anytime?


A:        Yes, you have access to the PRH 24 hours a day, including the fitness and computer rooms.

Q:       Can I use candles or incense in my apartment/unit?


A:        No. The lighting and burning of candles, incense, potpourri, or anything requiring an open flame is prohibited. Candles and candle warmers are also prohibited as decoration.

Q:       Can I leave my trash outside my door?


A:        No. We do not have a pick up service, students must take their trash to the dumpster. RAs will be checking the buildings each day and if you leave trash outside your apartment/unit, you will receive a notice to take it to the dumpster. If you do not do so, you will be fined $10.00. If this continues to happen, the fine will increase and other disciplinary actions may be taken.

Please view the Student Housing Guide for all of the Student Housing Policies.