Skip to main content
Tx Vet Commission bannerHazlewood - The Hazlewood Act is a State of Texas benefit that provides qualified Veterans, spouses, and dependent children with an education benefit of up to 150 hours of tuition exemption, including most fee charges, at public institutions of higher education in Texas. This does NOT include living expenses, books, or supply fees.   *If you wish to save money on purchasing books, try other resources such as the internet, and discount bookstores.
Veteran Qualifications  -
§At the time of entry into the U.S. Armed Forces, designated Texas as Home of Record; or entered the service in Texas; or was a Texas resident;
§Have received an honorable discharge or separation or a general discharge under honorable conditions;
§Served at least 181 days of active duty service (excluding training), as indicated by “net active service” (the sum of 12(c) and 12(d)    on the DD214);
§Have no federal Veteran’s education benefits, or have no federal Veterans education benefits dedicated to the payment of tuition and fees only (such as Chapter 33 or 31; Pell and SEOG are not relevant) for term or semester enrolled that do not exceed the value of Hazlewood benefits;
§Not be in default on a student loan made or guaranteed by the State of Texas; and
§Enroll in classes for which the college receives tax support (i.e., a course that does not depend solely on student tuition and fees to cover its cost), unless the college’s governing board has ruled to let Veterans receive the benefit while taking non-funded courses.
Hazlewood Act application process –
Apply and be accepted to a Texas public college or university of your choice. Go to Provide Proof (DD214) from the Department of Defense regarding military service and the nature of discharge; Provide proof of eligibility or ineligibility for Montgomery GI Bill benefits (Chapter 31, 33/Post-9/11) by requesting an education benefits letter from the VA office in Muskogee, OK at (888) 442-4551 or vba-26-1880 Request Eligibility Certificate; Fill out the application form Hazlewood Application; and, turn in the application, a copy of your letter of eligibility/ineligibility and a copy of your DD214 (member 2 or 4) into the financial aid office of the institution you will be attending.
You will receive approval from the institution you are attending, either by email, letter, or a credit to your school account. (Be sure to contact the financial aid office regarding your status on prior student loans made or guaranteed by the State of Texas.)