Our Mission in ART is to:
- Prepare students to become professional artists and educators to develop an attitude that leads to continued study in the liberal arts or professional level in the field as well as to engage in lifelong learning.
- Offer a diversity of cultural and artistic media in the form of exhibitions, lectures, seminars, competitions, and visiting artist that enhance the awareness of and exposure to historical and contemporary art and contemporary concerns in Art education for UTPB students as well as the residents of the Permian Basin.
- Provide the skills, knowledge, and experience necessary to teach all levels of Art.
- Serve non-art majors by offering courses in Studio Art, Art History, and Art Appreciation.
- Provide all students with a quality educational experience in the visual arts and to serve the Permian Basin as a resource for Arts-related programs.
The Discipline’s Goals in ART are to:
- Provide undergraduate students, many of whom are first-generation university students, with access to an excellent and personal experience in the visual arts and the liberal arts.
- Recruit and retain highly qualified students, to encourage the development of their potential, and to provide a high quality environment that prepares them to become professionals in their fields.
- Continue our role as a leader in visual arts education.
The Visual Arts Department (VAD) devotes itself to teaching, research, service, exhibitions and experiences that enhance and embrace the cultural diversity of the department and the University. The mission and the goals of the department provide the necessary competencies required for art and its practice.
- Learn the functional competencies with the elements and principles of art and design.
- Understand the historical issues, processes and directions that support the creation of art.
- Have the opportunity to exhibit art and participate in critiques of personal and peers work.
- Analyze and evaluate art and its practices using historical and contemporary references.