The mission of the High Temperature Teaching and Test Reactor (HT3R) Energy Research Facility will be to operate as a "national user facility" in order to:
- Educate and train the next generation of scientists and engineers to have state-of-the-art expertise in the latest nuclear materials, and process technologies,
- Perform basic and applied nuclear research,
- Support the engineering, design, licensing, construction and operation of the Department of Energy's Next Generation Nuclear Plant (NGNP),
- Optimize the economic high-temperature production of hydrogen, syn(thetic)fuels and other materials. Develop and test new materials that can operate at temperatures at and above 950o C, and
- Increase the efficiency of electricity production in power plants.