Skip to main content

If I am a student or from a department of the University of Texas of the Permian Basin, do I need to ask permission to use a trademark?
-Yes, it is important for the University to protect the trademarks and controlling their use will maintain their value.

If the item being purchased has no reference to the university, e.g. no colors, building images, names or trademarks, do I still need to have a licensed vendor produce my product?
-No. If there is a question regarding a design, we suggest that it be submitted to the Office of Trademark Licensing before you have it produced.

If my product is not going to be resold, do I still have to select a licensed vendor?
-All items bearing University marks must be produced by a licensed vendor whether they are for resale or not.

Are any requests exempt from royalties?
-Generally, items are subject to royalties. However each request is reviewed on a case-by-case basis.

What does the University of Texas of the Permian Basin do if unlicensed merchandise is discovered in the marketplace?
-Merchandise produced without authorization may be considered counterfeit or infringing and subject to all available legal remedies.

When am I able to use the trademarks of The University of Texas of the Permian Basin?
-Any trademark, which identifies or is associated with the UT System, may not be used without prior expressed written permission from the Purchasing Department and/or the Office of Trademark Licensing in Austin. A questionnaire has been developed to assist you with providing pertinent information so that your request can be considered.

How does a vendor become licensed?
-To start the licensing process, please contact our licensing agency:
Strategic Marketing Affiliates, Pan American Plaza, 201 South Capitol, Suite 520, Indianapolis, IN 46225, phone; 317-829-5690, fax; 317-829-5696.
If you prefer the Internet, you may review the SMA website at A copy of the licensing application can be downloaded and printed from their website to speed things up.

Is there a fee to become licensed?
-Yes. There is an advance fee and a royalty rate based upon the total gross invoice amounts billed ("Net Sales."). The royalty rate is 8%.

Are we able to acknowledge corporate entities that have contributed to an event, project, etc.?
-Yes. It is possible to acknowledge a corporate entity for its support, providing there is no logo usage and no mention of product or services of that corporate entity. The company name should be the same size, color, and typeface as the rest of the statement.

How long do requests for licensing usually take to process?
-Typically, the review process can 2-5 working days. Each request is reviewed on a case-by-case basis to ensure compliance with UT System policies.

How can I obtain a list of licensees?
-A list of licensees can be obtained through Strategic Marketing Affiliates or the Purchasing Department.

What are the registered marks of The University of Texas System?
-Each component has its own trademarks with specific guidelines on how they should be portrayed.  Contact Travis Woodward, Media and Special Projects for a copy of our Registered marks.

Can I alter a mark?
-No. Altering a mark would hurt its integrity. This would dilute the strength and value of the mark.