$10,000 Bachelor of Science Degree
The University of Texas of the Permian Basin is proud to offer a $10,000 Bachelor of Science degree to qualified students seeking to study on a full-time basis. Eligible disciplines include:
This opportunity is available for outstanding physical science and mathematics students in Texas. They will receive a high quality degree at a cost of only $10,000 in tuition and fees for the four-year curriculum.
The table below demonstrates the cost comparison of the $10,000 Texas Science Scholar to the regular in-state tuition and fee estimates. (* based on 30 semester credit hours)
|Per Semester||Per Academic Year|
|Regular In-State Tuition and Fees||$3165.55||$6331.10*|
|Texas Science Scholar||$2500*|
Student Qualifications Check-list
General Student Qualifications
- Must be a Texas resident
- Must be admitted unconditionally to the University with a major in
- Must minor in one of the above science disciplines (or Biology), if a minor is required by the degree plan. InfoSys majors are required to minor in general business.
- Must apply for admission by going to www.applytexas.org
- Go to http://ss.utpb.edu/admissions/apply-now/ and select "Freshman Student Applicant" to learn about unconditional admission to UTPB.
- Must be unconditionally admitted, complete all placement exams, and register for first semester by August 1.
- Submit official high school transcripts.
- Submit SAT scores (College Board Code: 0448) or ACT scores (ACT Code: 4225).
- Submit TAKS scores (if available).
- Must be eligible to take Pre-calculus (MATH 2412 or its equivalent).
- Must be eligible to take General Chemistry (CHEM 1311-1111) during first year at the University, if applicable.
- Must not be placed in any developmental coursework.
- Submit official transcripts from ALL colleges and universities attended.
- Must have completed Pre-calculus (MATH 2412 or its equivalent).
- Check that coursework integrates into the chosen degree plan to be on track to graduate with a four year degree.
- Must have a 3.0 overall cumulative G.P.A.
How to Apply
To apply for the Texas Science Scholar you must complete the following:
- The Texas Common Application for Admission. This will be your Admission form to the University
- The Texas Science Scholar Application - This will be your Appication to be a Texas Science Scholar
- The Federal Application for Student Aid (optional) - This will determine if you qualify for any non-UTPB financial aid
- The Student Housing Application (Texas Science Scholars must live in UTPB housing unless they have a proper exemption)
Complete these steps as soon as possible. There is limited space available.
Once You Are Admitted
Once you have been admitted as a Texas Science Scholar:
- Meet with a UTPB Texas Science Scholar advisor and determine a degree plan for a major in Chemistry, Computer Science, Geology, Information Systems or Math with a minor in one of these programs or Biology.
- Advisor : Kyle Beran - 432-552-2238 - firstname.lastname@example.org - Office: ST1240
- Complete 30 course hours per academic year (Fall / Spring / Summer) with a G.P.A. of 3.0 or better with all courses meeting degree requirements as outlined in the degree plan
- Pay $2500 at the beginning of the academic year. This covers tuition and fees for 30 hours of coursework in the current academic year. Payment plans will be available.
- Check with the Financial Aid Office to see if you qualify for non-UTPB financial aid, such as the Texas Grant, Federal Pell Grants, or privately funded scholarships. You must have previously completed the Federal Application for Student Aid.
- Fill out the Student Housing application, and plan your stay in Student Housing. Texas Science Scholars must live in UTPB housing unless they have a proper exemption
- If you have a smartphone, download the UTPB Mobile App to see what's happening on campus, and get involved!
- Office of Admissions
- Phone: 432-552-2605 - Fax: 432-552-3605 - email@example.com
- Office of Financial Aid
- Phone: 432-552-2620 - Fax: 432-442-2621 - firstname.lastname@example.org