Students who will be in the U.S. for longer than 30 days and plan to drive a car should obtain a Texas Driver’s License at the Texas Department of Public Safety (DPS).

You will need access to a car, knowledge of Texas driving regulations, and testable driving skills. You must provide your own vehicle when taking the driving test.

Verifying Your Immigration Status

If you are having trouble verifying your immigration status with the Department of Public Safety, check the SAVE System to see the status of your immigration verification with DHS. Applying for a benefit or license with a federal, state, or local government agency?

  • Agencies may need to verify your immigration status to process your application. To verify your status, they use the SAVE Program.
  • CaseCheck, a free and fast service, lets you follow the progress of your SAVE verification case online as often as you like. Visit for additional information.

If you are on Optional Practical Training (OPT), bring your Form I-766/Employment Authorization Document (EAD). The DMV will use the A number on this card to verify your status.