Skip to main content


Although state and national policy has established many objectives for student financial aid programs, one clear purpose is to fund only students who meet certain academic standards. Institutions are therefore required by law to formulate standards to gauge the progress of students receiving federal and state financial aid by applying both qualitative and quantitative measurements to academic work.  A maximum time limit for the completion of a degree and a minimum grade point average (GPA) are used by the University to measure satisfactory academic progress. The qualitative standard of satisfactory academic progress is measured by the cumulative grade point average (CGPA) of courses taken at U. T. Permian Basin.

Federal regulations require the UTPB Financial Aid Office to establish standards for Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) that measure a student’s progress toward degree completion using both qualitative and quantitative methods.  Satisfactory Academic Progress applies to all coursework attempted and earned including courses transferredor those for which the student did not receive financial aid.  As you review these standards, please be advised that in order to maintain Satisfactory Academic Progress a student must complete 75% of all classes that an academic record is created for and must also maintain a 2.0GPA. 

Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) is evaluated at the end of each semester (fall, spring, & summer).


Qualitative Measure


Undergraduate students must maintain a minimum CGPA of 2.00 each semester they are enrolled.  Graduate students must have a CGPA of 3.0 each semester they are enrolled.  Students falling below this minimum CGPA are subject to financial aid probation or dismissal as described in the catalog.


Quantitative Measure


The University has established a quantitative measurement of academic progress toward completion of a student’s degree or certification program.  Federal Title IV regulations state that student eligibility cannot extend past 150% of the stated length of a student’s program of study.  A first baccalaureate program at U. T. Permian Basin requires a minimum 120 semester credit hours for graduation.  Therefore, a student who is working on a first bachelor’s degree must complete the program within 180 attempted semester credit hours (120 hrs. x 1.50).  Programs of different lengths would be similarly calculated.  A student’s entire enrollment history is considered when evaluating academic progress within the established time frame, whether or not aid has been received previously.


In addition to the overall time frame, a financial aid recipient must also be making progress toward completing the program by completing seventy-five percent of the funded hours attempted each year.  Funded hours are those semester credit hours which are counted in determining a student’s enrollment status for payment of financial aid.  Courses in which a “W”, “D”, “F”, “U” or “Z” has been recorded may be repeated once and be included as funded hours for financial aid (i.e., in the 12+ hours for full-time enrollment).  Repeated courses in which a grade of “C” or higher, “S” or “I” has been recorded will not be included as funded hours for financial aid.  Audited courses cannot be funded with financial aid or counted in the progress requirements.


Federal Title IV regulations specify that developmental courses may be included as funded hours for financial aid. These courses are numbered 0399 in the catalog (i.e., ENGL 0399, Fundamentals of Composition).  The regulations also stipulate that a student may receive funding for not more than one year or thirty (30) hours of developmental courses.  Therefore, each course numbered 0399 may be repeated once and still receive financial aid funding provided all other progress requirements have been met. 


A quantitative measurement of academic progress will be made three times a year for all financial aid recipients.  At the end of the fall, spring, and summer semesters a student must have successfully completed a minimum of seventy-five percent (75%) of all course enrollments attempted at U. T. Permian Basin combined with hours transferred as part of your degree courses completed during the time of admission.  Any student who falls below the minimum completion rate of 75% will be considered to not be making academic progress until the ratio of completed to attempted hours is again above 75%.  Courses with a recorded grade of “F”, “U”, “W”, “Z” or “PR” are not considered successfully completed. Students are permitted to use summer enrollments to make up credit hour deficiencies.  Only enrollments attempted and successfully completed at U. T. Permian Basin will be considered in academic progress.  Courses repeated or transferred from other institutions are not considered in measuring academic progress except for monitoring the overall time frame for completion of a student’s program of study.


Change of Academic Major/Pursuit of a double Major or Minor

Students who have a change of academic major or pursue multiple majors or minors will not have additional financial aid eligibility beyond the Maximum Time Frame established under the new policy.


Failure to Make Academic Progress


Student Academic Progress will be checked after each semester.  Progress will be checked at the end of the fall semester.  Students who are found to not be making progress either for qualitative or quantitative reasons will be put on Financial Aid Warning.  Students with a warning status will not have their aid suspended and will be allowed to receive aid for one additional semester.  At the end of the spring semester academic progress will be checked again.  All students who are on Financial Aid Warning, and have not met the minimum requirements for academic progress will be put on financial aid suspension.  These students will not be eligible to receive aid until they have successfully met the academic progress standards or successfully appealed their SAP. 




Students who have lost eligibility to receive financial aid as a result of Financial Aid Suspension must attain the minimum standards of satisfactory academic progress before becoming eligible to receive aid.  The University recognizes that students sometimes encounter circumstances beyond their control that can adversely affect their academic progress.  Any student subject to probation or suspension of financial aid eligibility may appeal to the Financial Assistance Committee for a review of the decision.  The appeal must be submitted in writing and include in the request an explanation and, if necessary, documentation of the reason(s) why the minimum academic standards required by this policy were not achieved.  The appeal must also include a statement regarding how the problem has been corrected and how the student plans to ensure that progress will be met in the future.


If the Financial Assistance Committee believes that it is possible for the student to meet the standards for academic progress in one semester, the committee can grant the appeal.  However if the student does not meet the standards for academic progress in that semester, their aid will be suspended until they do make academic progress. 


The Financial Assistance Committee can also approve an appeal based on a requirement that the student be placed on an academic plan.  The academic plan will clearly outline what steps a student must take in order to make academic progress.  As long as the student is following the plan, they will be considered to be making academic progress.  If a student’s appeal is granted and they are not required to be placed on an academic plan, but the student does not make progress, they will have their aid suspended.  The student can appeal their suspension again but will be placed on an academic plan if the appeal is granted.  The student will be notified by the Director of Student Financial Aid in writing of the committee’s decision.


15-16 Satisfactory Academic Progress Appeal

Satisfactory Academic Progress Policies and Procedures Guide

Financial Aid Academic Recovery Plan