graduation hat
Kailey is honored to have been given the opportunity to represent her fellow teacher residents across the state.

UT Permian Basin graduate student and Odessa native, Kailey Tate had the opportunity to testify before the State Senate Education Committee. Kailey is currently working on her Master of Arts in Literacy. She also teaches at Wilson & Young Medal of Honor Middle School in ECISD.

Kailey TateThe opportunity of testifying before the State Senate Education Committee came after her professor Dr. Shelly Landreth nominated her to work with The Education Trust.

The Education Trust in Texas advocates for an equitable education for historically underserved students across the state. They were working on a video that discussed the benefits of being part of the Teacher Residency Program at UTPB. Kailey was a part of the program while she was earning her undergraduate degree.

The Education Trust invited Kailey to testify before the state senate Education Committee and talk about her experience as a teacher resident.

“Having the opportunity to learn from a mentor and site coordinator for a whole year is well worth it. The residency program prepared me to go into my first year of solo teaching feeling like a veteran.”

The Teacher Residency Program at UT Permian Basin is a great program for students to gain real-world experience. Teacher residents are employed full-time by the school district and receive a salary. Teacher residents are placed in a classroom for two semesters, working alongside an experienced mentor teacher and grade-level team. During the teacher residency, the mentor teacher and a University site supervisor provide coaching and support. Residencies are available with Ector County ISD and Midland ISD.

Kailey encourages students that are currently getting their Bachelor’s degree in Education to apply for the Teacher Residency Program at UT Permian Basin.

“Without the residency program I would not have the opportunities or confidence that I have today.”

Kailey is honored to have been given the opportunity to represent her fellow teacher residents across the state and expresses her gratitude toward the professors that guided her throughout her college experience.

“I would like to thank Dr. Landreth with UTPB and Karen Vicory with ECISD for investing in me and guiding me throughout my residency.”

Kailey is beyond grateful for this opportunity as it has opened doors and allowed her to share her story with the community.