Kirk Building exterior shot
The Nutrition Center will offer a variety of health options for student-athletes to take advantage of

UT Permian Basin student-athletes will soon be able to take advantage of a new nutrition center on campus. The center, set to be housed in the weight room at the Kirk, will offer a variety of protein shakes along with other healthy options to fuel student-athletes and boost their performance. UTPB is able to offer the nutrition center thanks to a generous gift from Odessa natives Cindy and Homer Daniels.   

“Once we were learned about the need for a Nutrition Center and that it would help every athlete across all sports, we were excited to get involved,” said the Daniels family. “We felt this would be a great addition to the success of UTPB student-athletes. We are excited to be a part of helping bring the Nutrition Center to The Kirk.”  

UTPB head football coach Kris McCullough has been working on the nutrition center concept since his arrival on campus in December 2022. The center will focus on helping all UTPB student-athletes recognize the importance of nutrition in both strength and conditioning and recovery. It’s also a way to teach student-athletes the types of foods they should be eating to maintain a healthy balance. This nutrition center will be arguably the best in all of Division II athletics.

"When I arrived at UTPB, I started looking at ways to make an impact in our athletic department” said Head Football Coach, Kris McCullough. “We have top-of-the-line facilities when it comes to our weight room and training room but I saw a gap on the nutrition side of things.”   

McCullough said he knew he wanted to bring a nutrition center to the University for all the student-athletes to take advantage of. After all, nutrition plays a key role in the success of athletes.  

“I got a plan and a design together and presented it to potential donors and thankfully Cindy and Homer Daniels pledged to sponsor our nutrition center. This contribution by them over the next several years will truly make a difference in our student-athletes' lives. I am so grateful for their support and contributions.”   

Women’s soccer player, Hayley Sawyer said she’s looking forward to taking advantage of the new Nutrition Center during her season this fall.   

“The Nutrition Center will help in my success as an athlete by receiving the nutrition I need for my body right after workouts. It helps with my performance and just makes me feel good. Also, most students can’t afford the costs of the protein we need to function as a high-level athlete. This is a great addition to help in my athletic career.”  

The Cindy and Homer Daniels Nutrition Center enables UTPB Athletics to supplement the unique nutritional needs of student-athletes. We are thrilled about this fantastic addition to the Kirk Edwards building and the ORMC Training Center. The Cindy and Homer Daniels Nutrition Center is a game changer for UT Permian Basin Athletics,” added UTPB VP of Athletics, Todd Dooley.