UTPB spring graduate poses in cap and gown
“I am extremely grateful for the opportunities that have come my way since deciding to come back and finish my degree. I cannot wait to see what the future holds for me! If I can do it, you can too!” said UTPB grad Jennifer Terry.

Karla Camara in graduation regaliaUTPB student Karla Camara graduated with a degree in Political Science! Camara is from Mission, Texas.

She chose UTPB because of its affordability. “As a first-generation student my biggest question about pursuing higher education was not if I would get accepted, but how I would afford it.

UTPB answered that question,” said Camara. Upon graduation Camara hopes to receive a master’s degree in social work.

“I hope to use my degrees to open a non-profit aimed toward ensuring the success of international and first-generation students through mentoring and leadership opportunities,” said Camara.

She was involved in the Student Government Association and the Resident Assistant program during her time on campus. She also served as the student representative for the UT System Student Advisory Council, where she helped address issues facing students across UT system schools.

Camara says the size of UTPB and family mindset helped her easily navigate the University.

“The University is dedicated to highlighting and harnessing the abilities it sees within its students. I was able to pursue undergraduate research, trips to congress, attend UTSAAC, attend academic and leadership conferences, serve on university committees all while pursuing my bachelors,” said Camara.

She is thankful to her mentors at UTPB and parents for helping aid her growth in indescribable ways!

Isaiah Castelo graduated with a degree in biology! Born and raised in Odessa, Castelo attended Permian High School.

He says he chose UTPB after being awarded a generous scholarship. He describes the tight-knit community at UTPB as remarkable.

Isaiah Castelo in graduation regalia“The small campus fosters strong connections, ensuring that you frequently encounter friends and acquaintances. The dedicated staff exhibit a genuine willingness to provide personalized assistance and establish meaningful relationships with each student,” said Castelo.

During his time at UTPB, Castelo was very active on campus, serving as the Vice President of the Student Government, senior resident assistant, a tutor, and more!

Upon graduation Castelo hopes to pursue employment at UTPB while preparing for law school. His ultimate goal is to specialize in a legal field aligned with his passions and interests.

“Despite its smaller size, the University offers a wealth of opportunities comparable to those found at larger institutions. This ensures that students can fully immerse themselves in various experiences and opportunities without feeling overwhelmed,” said Castelo.

Castelo is grateful for all his mentors, supporters, and the individuals who played a pivotal role in making his time at UTPB “exceptional.”

Jennifer Terry has earned her Bachelor’s of Arts in Education. She said she’s thankful for her time at UTPB.

“I would encourage a prospective student to attend UTPB because there are so many degree choices, the campus is always being upgraded, and the professors love what they do, especially the education department!" said Terry. Jennifer Terry in graduation regalia

Terry is proving it’s never too late to come back and finish your degree. She’s been working toward her bachelor’s on and off since 2017.

“I am extremely grateful for the opportunities that have come my way since deciding to come back and finish my degree. I cannot wait to see what the future holds for me! If I can do it, you can too!” said Terry.

Terry is excited to share she recently accepted a job as an elementary school teacher with ECISD. 

Ally Haman earned her degree in Exercise Science and will be attending The University of North Texas Health Science Center in Fort Worth to earn her Doctorate of Physical Therapy (DPT).

Ally Haman in graduation regalia

“One my favorite things about UTPB is the community!” said Haman. 

Haman chose to come to UTPB because of the women’s basketball coaching staff, who recruited her to be on the team.

“Everyone at UTPB genuinely wants to see you succeed. With the small class sizes, the professors are available and can help you one-on-one. I would encourage students to choose UTPB because the support the community gives to this school.” said Haman.

Andreea Mancha is a finance major who will head home to Alvin, Texas after graduation to start her new full-time job at an accounting firm.

Andrea Mancha in graduation regalia

She also plans to start working toward her master’s this fall. 

“I chose to come to UTPB because of how helpful, kind, and attentive the staff is. From the moment I stepped on campus they helped with everything they could, the culture here is truly unmatched,” said Mancha.  

While at UTPB Mancha was a part of the women’s basketball team and served as a team captain. One of her favorite things about UTPB is all the events on campus.

“I would encourage a prospective student to choose UTPB for the constant support, inclusivity, and culture. The professors truly care, and a well rounded education is ensured,” said Mancha.