Follow the Steps in Order to Apply for the FAFSA

If you need help at any time E-mail a Financial Aid Representative.


Apply for Admission to U. T. Permian Basin. You do have to be accepted and registered for classes to receive funds.

2. FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid)

FAFSA (http://www.fafsa.ed.gov/) Our school code is 009930

Complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) for the correct year and semester(s) that you plan to attend. The FAFSA is used to award aid for the Fall, Spring, and Summer semesters for each academic year. Don't forget to include U. T. Permian Basin's school code 009930. When completing the FAFSA, the tax return should be completed, but does nothave to be submitted to the Internal Revenue Service yet. However, using estimated data does delay processing. If you plan to fill out a Special Circumstance FormDependent Care Form, or Dependency Status Change Form, you should make an appointment with the Office of Financial Aid BEFORE you submit the FAFSA. Allow 3-5 weeks processing time for electronic submission of the FAFSA, and 4-6 weeks for paper submission by mail.

When your FAFSA has been processed, you will receive a Student Aid Report (SAR) in the mail, or through email. The SAR is your copy of the results of the FAFSA. You do not need to bring it to the Office of Financial Aid. We will receive an electronic copy from the processing center. As soon as your SAR arrives in the mail, READ IT COMPLETELY! It may contain important information regarding corrections and/or additional required documents. If you need to make corrections, do so immediately and mail your SAR back to the processing center. You must then wait until the corrections are processed, and another SAR will be mailed to you in 2-3 weeks. Thirty percent of all applicants are selected for a process called Verification. If you are selected you will be notified in your SAR. If there are no corrections needed on your SAR, simply keep it for your records.

3. General Application

It is recommended to complete a General Financial Aid Application for each year you attend. New applications can be completed each year you attend and wish to receive financial assistance. This form is available each November 1st and is used for the Next Academic Year. These forms may be accessed under 'Forms' on the navigation bar to the left.

4. Additional Paperwork

Notify the Office of Financial Aid (432-552-2620) when you have received and read your SAR. A Financial Aid Representative will then confirm whether or not additional documents are required to make your file complete. Please check "To Do List" on your UTPB portal (my.utpb.edu). If you need additional assistance, please contact Financial Aid Office. Documents that may be required include:

  • Verification Worksheet
  • Signed Copy of Student's Tax Return
  • Signed Copy of Parent's Tax Return
  • Social Security Information
  • INS/Citizenship Status Information
  • Selective Service Registry Information
  • Enrollment History

U.T. Permian Basin Forms

5. Award Letter

When your Financial Aid file is complete, you should receive an Award Letter. Please read your Award Letter completely. The letter will show the type and amount of aid awarded for the Fall and Spring semesters. (Summer aid is not generally awarded until April). Awards are based on full-time attendance in the terms listed and may be adjusted based on your enrollment status for each term. Awarded Grants and Scholarships will be complete. To receive a Stafford Loan, additional paperwork is required (see step 8). Work-study assistance can be awarded but the student must first find a position on campus to receive work-study funds. If you believe that your Award Letter is overdue, please contact the Office of Financial Aid (432-552-2620). You also may check on your award through.

6. Future Financial Aid

In order to receive financial aid in subsequent years, you must complete a FAFSA renewal and/or a new general application annually. Other forms pertinent to your situation (i.e. Hazlewood, Special Circumstance, Scholarships, etc.) must be re-submitted annually as well.

Financial Aid Related Websites:

Entrance/Exit Interviews - Federal Stafford Loan information, online entrance and exit interviews.

FAFSA - Free Application for Federal Student Aid; submit information faster and more efficiently! Our Title IV School Code is 009930.

FAFSA 4Caster- A good tool for high school juniors to use to get an estimate of what their kind of aid they will be eligible to receive.

Direct Loans- Link to the Department of Education Direct Loan information page.

College for Texans - Search for scholarships. You can also apply for Hazlewood under the "Military and their Families" link.

NSLDS-Access the National Student Loan Data System to check you current loan balances for all loans you have received from every school you have attended.

TEACH Grant-Link to the Department of Education TEACH Grant information page.