Student nurse smiling
“Receiving a scholarship from UTPB has meant the world to me and not only lifts my financial burden, but allows me to remain focused on my school work,” said nursing major Emily Gonzales.

UTPB has partnered with Permian Strategic Partnership (PSP) to cover tuition and mandatory fees for undergraduates majoring in nursing, pre-med, pre-dental, pre-pharmacy, and other pre-health related fields. Students who qualify for the PSP Scholarship can receive up to 25k in scholarship funds over four years!

Evalyn Beebe is a recipient of the PSP scholarship. She is a nursing student at UTPB who plans to graduate in the Spring of 2026. She says the funds have been both an honor and a blessing. 

“Hopefully, it will allow me to graduate debt-free and pursue further education without financial constraints,” said Beebe.

evalynbeebe.jpeg

Transitioning from a small school district, the small class sizes and extra attention from professors have made her feel at home. 

“Everyone at UTPB is beyond welcoming, helpful, and encouraging. Your professors want you to succeed, they are there to help you along the way,” said Beebe.

To further support our hospitals and clinics all recipients must agree to work for three years in the Permian Basin upon graduation in their health-related field. Beebe hopes to work in a NICU in the Permian Basin, fulfilling her commitment.

“I personally love these criteria of the scholarship because I want to stay in the Permian Basin and be close to my family,” said Beebe.

Both of her parents are nurses. She says the scholarship has given her the opportunity to follow in their footsteps, putting her love for the field into action.

“The PSP Scholarship requirements promote commitment, provides incentives, and minimizes financial worries for students applying to the nursing program or going into another pre-med field,” said Beebe.

emilygonzales.jpg

Nursing Major Emily Gonzales is also a recipient of the scholarship funding. She plans to graduate in the Fall of 2026.

“Being local and born in West Texas, the benefits UTPB offers students are excellent and unmatched compared to other universities,” said Gonzales.  

Gonzales plans on receiving her Registered Nurse certification upon graduation and working as an RN in the Permian Basin. Her passion for nursing stems from that of helping those in need, something her parents instilled in her at an early age.

“My dad is currently a sergeant at the Kermit Police Department and my mom worked as a police officer for five years for the Monahan’s Police Department, so I have always been surrounded by a family who aims to protect and serve our community and make a difference as a living,” said Gonzales. “Nursing is just one way to make a difference in this world and I plan to be a part of its future.”

emilygonzales2.jpg

We are eager to grow the next generation of health care providers in the Permian Basin thanks to the support from the Permian Strategic Partnership. The 2024-2025 PSP scholarship deadline is Wednesday, May 1st.