Permian Basin Water in Energy Conference
The conference, which was founded in conjunction with UT Permian Basin, brings in people from around the world who want to learn more about the role water plays in the energy industry.

The third annual Permian Basin Water in Energy Conference is right around the corner. The conference, which was founded in conjunction with UT Permian Basin, brings in people from around the world who want to learn more about the role water plays in the energy industry.

The UT Permian Basin College of Engineering and College of Business both play a major role in the success of the conference. But it’s not just professors and industry leaders who benefit. UTPB students do too.

alex-glebova.jpgGraduate student Alexandra Glebova better known as “Alex” is one of the first students to receive a scholarship from funds generated from the Permian Basin Water in Energy Conference.

Alex, who’s from Saint Petersburg, Russia, earned her first master’s degree from UT Permian Basin in Exercise Science. Her love for tennis is what originally brought her to the Basin.

“I’ve always been involved in sports. I played tennis. I used to be a graduate assistant coach at UTPB.”

After Alex graduated in 2015 she went on to work for the admissions office before returning back to Russia in Summer of 2019. Alex said she knew she wanted to return to West Texas to further her education in business.

“I heard about the scholarship through College of Business Dean Steve Beach. He plays tennis too, so that’s how we met! He would come out to all of our home matches for tennis and we talked about the business program.”

Once she was awarded the scholarship, Alex packed her bags and made her way back UT Permian Basin. She’s now in her second semester in the MBA program.

“I’ve always been interested in business, but I never understood how it worked. Now I look at it from a completely different perspective. I can look at financial statements and I actually understand them now!”

Alex is following the energy business track. She said she’s grateful to have been selected for the scholarship and knows the education she’s receiving at UTPB is setting her up for a lifetime of success.

“It’s great to have not only a diploma but a master’s degree from a UT System school. It’s very untitled-shoot-4643.jpgprestigious. I would suggest getting an MBA especially in this area because there are so many different opportunities.”

The 2020 Permian Basin Water in Energy Conference will take place February 18- 21 at the Midland County Horseshoe Arena. The conference features experts in the area of water and energy, exploring the newest technologies and strategic approaches to the crucial element.

To learn more or to register for the Permian Basin Water in Energy Conference click here.