alum teaching in classroom
Amanda Salcedo says she was very honored to receive this award.

UTPB alum, Amanda Salcedo, was recently awarded Veteran Teacher of the Year for Abell Junior High in Midland. The Excellence in Education Awards were awarded by United Way of Midland and other community partners to recognize teachers who go above and beyond in the classroom.

“I was very surprised to hear that I had won,” Amanda said. “The process starts with teachers nominating other teachers on campus for different roles. Our principal then sends out a voting sheet, and everyone casts their votes. I was actually up against two amazing candidates. When I found out I was flattered and honored to represent our school.”

Amanda attended UT Permian Basin from 2000-2003 where she graduated with a Bachelor’s Degree in Humanities and an ESL Certification. When asked what her favorite thing about attending UTPB was she said, “the people-especially in the ESL/Bilingual department. I had such great support!” Amanda was also awarded a teaching grant for ESL while she was a student which allowed her to graduate debt-free.

Amanda really enjoyed her time at UTPB. She feels the classes were able to give her a strong foundation to begin a career in education. However, Amanda said the real lessons began after she was inside a classroom as a teacher.

“My English as a Second Language classes were the most helpful. They gave me teaching strategies that I still use today.” says Amanda.

Currently, Amanda works as an 8th grade English/ESL teacher at Abell Junior High in Midland where she also serves as the English department chair.

“I honestly see myself being in middle school for a few more years, and then maybe try out high school.  By the time I retire, I want to be able to say that I have worked in elementary, middle, and high school,” she said.

Amanda encourages students to attend UTPB for its affordability and welcoming atmosphere. She has UTPB stickers and pennant flags all over her classroom to show her students how proud she is of her alma mater. Amanda says she will forever be grateful for the opportunities UTPB has provided her.

The University of Texas Permian Basin offers a world-renowned education at an affordable price. There are numerous scholarship opportunities including Falcon Free, our new tuition assistance program. Learn more and become a part of the Falcon family today!