financial aid entrance door


How do I choose?

Do you know which application to fill out?

Students attending Texas higher education institutions can apply for FAFSA or TASFA - but not both.

Still Unsure?

Use the decision tool for additional help

Decision Tool

What is FAFSA?

FAFSA stands for the Free Application for Federal Student Aid. It is a free form. Students can complete it each year to see if they qualify for grants, loans, or work-study in both federal and state aid.

Who should submit a FAFSA?

Non-U.S. citizens who are considered U.S. nationals and U.S. permanent residents can still complete the FAFSA application.

*Students living in U.S. territories, like Puerto Rico, Guam, and others, can complete the FAFSA. If you live in the Marshall Islands, Federal States of Micronesia, or the Republic of Palau, you don't need a social security number. You can apply for FAFSA.

What is TASFA?

The Texas Application for State Financial Aid (TASFA) is free. Students who are ineligible to complete a FAFSA, can fill out a TASFA to see if they qualify for state aid. Students under DACA or classified as undocumented are encouraged to fill out this form.

Who should submit a TASFA?

  • Non U.S Citizens, classified as a Texas Resident based on residency criteria.
  • Lived in Texas for 3 years or more (before enrolling in college)
  • Graduating high school in Texas (or receiving a certificate of high school equivalency)
  • Male students registered or planning to register for Selective Service

TASFA Frequently Asked Questions