students walking around campus

How to Audit a Course

UT Permian Basin allows a person who does not desire a degree or who does not desire course credit to register for classes on a noncredit basis. This is known as auditing a course. Students auditing classes are permitted to attend classes and participate in the course discussions, studio and laboratory work and other class activities. They are not required to complete work outside the classroom or sit for exams.

If you wish to enroll for a course but do not desire course credit (audit), contact the Office of the Registrar. This option is not available for Contract Study, self-paced courses, thesis, research or practicum.

How to Audit a Course

  • The fee for auditing a course is $35 per course plus any applicable lab fee. This fee covers course participation, library use and computer use privileges similar to those of students. It does not cover parking or provide access to student services covered by the student service fee or the medical services fee.
  • No credit is earned through auditing the class and a student may not earn credit through examination for audited courses. One may not audit contract study, self-paced, thesis, research or practicum courses.
  • Students applying only for the purposes of auditing a course are not required to meet all admission requirements. However, students that have been denied admission are not eligible to enroll to audit. For further information on admissions for auditing purposes, contact the Admissions Office.
  • Registration for auditing courses can occur only during the late registration period. It is on a space available basis only and requires the instructor's permission. Students should contact the Registrar's Office for audit enrollment forms and procedures.
  • Bacterial Meningitis Vaccination requirement—Must show evidence of having received the Bacterial Meningitis vaccination or qualified exemption. (Students who are 22 years of age or older or planning to take online courses only—no campus based courses—are exempt).


Contact the contact the Office of the Registrar.